Tuesday, 29 July 2014

The Chromebooks Question

Had a great conversation with Megan from Otaki College (where I taught prior to Waiopehu) yesterday in regard to going to visit them. We're going to see what they're doing with the classes they have using Chromebooks.  Awesome to hear her being so enthusiastic about what she is doing with her year 7/8 class and I'm really looking forward to visiting them during week 4 of term to experience her passion first hand.

 I also spoke to the board at last night to seek approval to spend on a class set of Chromebooks, with the idea of using them with one of current junior classes.  We probably won't insist that year 9's must have a device until the begining of 2016.  Otaki College are also using a finance scheme where the students pay a deposit of $45 and then $4 a week for three years in order for their Chromebooks. I'm going to talk to Mike from Core Education tomorrow to see if we can get a similar scheme going here.  It would also be great if all schools in the town could come to a consensus on which device to go with so we could collaborate for training and PD. I know that the local Principals Association has been talking about it, so fingers crossed that may happen.

1 comment:

  1. I'd quite like to be able to come to Otaki with you, if there are spaces. Keep in mind I am not technologically savvy but willing to give it a go. I think it would be great to observe a Year 7/8 in action, particularly if she uses the Chromebooks in literacy activities.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete