Today our SCRM came in to see how we were going with the recommendations made in the MNA (Managing National Assessment) report from earlier in the year, so I took the opportunity to ask her how we would be able to create a Assessment Statement for students if we move towards PBL. It was reassuring to hear that you can make statements that offer a range of standards that you may be offering in a course, and due dates can include information along the lines of 'the due date will be during term 3, with the final date being indicated 3 weeks prior'.
After school the curriculum committee started having a discussion about our future curriculum. We have decided that we will plan to trial PBL with the junior classes at the end of the year. What form that takes will be decided as we progress. I'd quite like to be quite bold with this as I believe the key to improving engagement is relevant and authentic learning. Self review continues to highlight student literacy levels as a barrier for achievement. My hunch is reading information you have a real desire to read will increase the ability to draw inferences and to comprehend, I feel an inquiry coming on.
We're also pushing ahead the Building On Success initiative. Today I've confirmed the shadow coaches to be in school next Thursday. They'll use the culturally responsive and relational pedagogy observation tool (check list) with the team who will in turn be observing the teachers who opt to be a part of the initial roll out. It's all go, but I like the sense of urgency this is creating.
To round out today I also met with with Muaupoko Tribal Authority this afternoon to talk about where we will head with Te Kupenga our collaboration between the tribe, CYFS, school and the Police which aims to reduce offending, and improve educational outcomes for the students involved. The trial has had some success and I'm feeling positive that all parties involved are keen to keep working together, awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment